Given Manitoba’s poor standing in the battle against COVID-19, a public health order has mandated the closure of many provincial businesses. Some businesses required to close as a result of this order may be eligible for the Manitoba Bridge Grant, a one-time $5,000 grant.
Who is eligible for the Manitoba Bridge Grant?
Eligible businesses include sole proprietors, partnerships, corporations, not-for-profits (NFPs), charities and co-ops. Businesses with multiple locations are eligible for only one payment, as the grant is provided on an entity-by-entity basis.
What are the eligibility criteria?
Eligible entities must:
- Be a permanent MB-based business actively operating as of November 9, 2020, before the public health orders were implemented
- Run an active business
- Have an active Business Number as of November 9, 2020
- Be in good standing with the Manitoba Companies Office (not required for sole proprietors or charities)
- Have been required to fully close their premises to the public as a result of the Prevention Order (effective November 12, 2020)
- Businesses seeking to provide alternative services despite having to fully close their premises are still eligible to apply. For example, take-out/delivery/curbside pick-up businesses are still eligible, provided their physical location is closed to the public.
- Operate a physical location in
- Interlake-Eastern Region
- Northern Region
- Prairie Mountain Region
- Southern Health-Sante Sud Region
- Winnipeg Metropolitan region
- Have an e-mail address and a valid business bank account with a Canadian financial institution
What businesses do not qualify?
- Those allowed to remain open, but on a reduced basis (e.g., grocery stores, etc.)
- Those that do not exist for the purpose of carrying on an active business in Manitoba (e.g., passive investment companies, rental income earners, etc.)
- Those owing taxes to Manitoba as of March 20, 2020 that have not yet remitted these taxes since
How do I apply for the Manitoba Bridge Grant?
- You can find an online application here: https://forms.gov.mb.ca/bridge-grant/
- You will need your BN/SIN, Companies Office Registry Number, Workers Comp Board/RST account numbers (if applicable) and business bank account information
What is the application deadline?
Applications are due by December 15, 2020.
A second round of funding may be considered if the Public Health Order remains in effect. This could extend the deadline to January 1, 2021, but this has not yet been confirmed.
Additional details can be found on the Manitoba Bridge Grant webpage.