Financial reporting and accounting advisory services
You trust your external auditor to deliver not only a high-quality, independent audit of your financial statements but to provide a range of support, including assessing material risks, evaluating internal controls and raising awareness around new and amended accounting standards.
Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises
Get the clear financial picture you need with the accounting standards team at Grant Thornton LLP. Our experts have extensive experience with private enterprises of all sizes in all industries, an in-depth knowledge of today’s accounting standards, and are directly involved in the standard-setting process.
International Financial Reporting Standards
Whether you are already using IFRS or considering a transition to this global framework, Grant Thornton LLP’s accounting standards team is here to help.
Accounting Standards for Not-for-Profit Organizations
From small, community organizations to large, national charities, you can count on Grant Thornton LLP’s accounting standards team for in-depth knowledge and trusted advice.
Public Sector Accounting Standards
Working for a public-sector organization comes with a unique set of requirements for accounting and financial reporting. Grant Thornton LLP’s accounting standards team has the practical, public-sector experience and in-depth knowledge you need.
Tax planning and compliance
Whether you are a private or public organization, your goal is to manage the critical aspects of tax compliance, and achieve the most effective results. At Grant Thornton, we focus on delivering relevant advice, and providing an integrated planning approach to help you fulfill compliance obligations.
Research & development, government incentives
Are you developing innovative processes or products, undertaking experimentation or solving technological problems? If so, you may qualify to claim SR&ED tax credits. This Canadian federal government initiative is designed to encourage and support innovation in Canada. Our R&D professionals are a highly-trained, diverse team of practitioners that are engineers, scientists and specialized accountants.
Keeping track of changes and developments in GST/HST, Quebec sales tax and other provincial sales taxes across Canada, can be a full-time job. The consequences for failing to adequately manage your organization’s sales tax obligations can be significant - from assessments, to forgone recoveries and cash flow implications, to customer or reputational risk.
US corporate tax
The United States has a very complex and regulated tax environment, that may undergo significant changes. Cross-border tax issues could become even more challenging for Canadian businesses looking for growth and prosperity in the biggest economy in the world.
Cross-border personal tax
In an increasingly flexible world, moving across the border may be more viable for Canadians and Americans; however, relocating may also have complex tax implications.
While there is great opportunity for businesses looking to expand globally, organizations are under increasing tax scrutiny. Regardless of your company’s size and level of international involvement—whether you’re working abroad, investing, buying and selling, borrowing or manufacturing—doing business beyond Canada’s borders comes with its fair share of tax risks.
Transfer pricing is a complex area of corporate taxation that is concerned with the intra-group pricing of goods, services, intangibles, and financial instruments. Transfer pricing has become a critical governance issue for companies, tax authorities and policy makers, and represents a principal risk area for multinationals.
Succession & estate planning
Like many private business owners today, you’ve spent your career building and running your business successfully. Now you’re faced with deciding on a successor—a successor who may or may not want your direct involvement and share your vision.
Tax Reporting & Advisory
The financial and tax reporting obligations of public markets and global tax authorities take significant resources and investment to manage. This requires calculating global tax provision estimates under US GAAP, IFRS, and other frameworks, and reconciling this reporting with tax compliance obligations.
Our transactions group takes a client-centric, integrated approach, focused on helping you make and implement the best financial strategies. We offer meaningful, actionable and holistic advice to allow you to create value, manage risks and seize opportunities. It’s what we do best: help great organizations like yours grow and thrive.
We bring a wide range of services to both individuals and businesses – including shareholders, executives, directors, lenders, creditors and other advisors who are dealing with a corporation experiencing financial challenges.
Market-driven expertise in investigation, dispute resolution and digital forensics
Viruses. Phishing. Malware infections. Malpractice by employees. Espionage. Data ransom and theft. Fraud. Cybercrime is now a leading risk to all businesses.
Running a business is challenging and you need advice you can rely on at anytime you need it. Our team dives deep into your issues, looking holistically at your organization to understand your people, processes, and systems needs at the root of your pain points. The intersection of these three things is critical to develop the solutions you need today.
Updates for creditors, limited partners, investors and shareholders.
ASPE Sec. 3041 Agriculture Understanding and applying the new ASPE Section 3041 AgricultureThe Canadian Accounting Standards Board (AcSB) has released new guidance on recognizing, measuring and disclosing biological assets and the harvested products of bio assets.
Tax alert Agricultural Clean Technology ProgramThe Agricultural Clean Technology Program will provide financial assistance to farmers and agri-businesses to help them reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
Tax alert ACT Program – Research and Innovation Stream explainedThe ACT Research and Innovation Stream provides financial support to organizations engaged in pre-market innovation.
Tax alert ACT Program – Adoption Stream explainedThe ACT Adoption Stream provides non-repayable funding to help farmers and agri-business with the purchase and installation of clean technologies.
Builders And Developers
Every real estate project starts with a vision. We help builders and developers solidify that vision, transform it into reality, and create value.
Rental Property Owners And Occupiers
In today’s economic climate, it’s more important than ever to have a strong advisory partner on your side.
Real Estate Service Providers
Your company plays a key role in the success of landlords, investors and owners, but who is doing the same for you?
There’s no business quite like mining. It’s volatile, risky and complex – but the potential pay-off is huge. You’re not afraid of a challenge: the key is finding the right balance between risk and reward. Whether you’re a junior prospector, a senior producer, or somewhere in between, we’ll work with you to explore, discover and extract value at every stage of the mining process.
Oil & gas
The oil and gas industry is facing many complex challenges, beyond the price of oil. These include environmental issues, access to markets, growing competition from alternative energy sources and international markets, and a rapidly changing regulatory landscape, to name but a few.
- ATTENTION: PLEASE READ THESE TERMS CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS GRANT THORNTON** ("Grant Thornton") WEB SITE. BY USING THIS WEB SITE YOU INDICATE THAT YOU ACCEPT THESE TERMS. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THESE TERMS (the "Terms"), DO NOT USE ANY GRANT THORNTON WEB SITE.
- Grant Thornton either owns the intellectual property rights in the underlying HTML, text, images, audio clips, video clips, software and other content (collectively, the "Content") that is made available to you on this Web site, or has obtained the permission of the owner of the intellectual property in such Content to use the Content on this Web site. Except as provided in these Terms, Grant Thornton prohibits the redistribution or copying of any Content on this Website without its express written permission.
- Grant Thornton hereby authorizes you to display on your computer, download and print pages of this Website, subject to the following provisions: (i) the copyright notice appears on all such printouts; (ii) the information will not be altered in any manner; and (iii) the Content is only to be used for personal educational and non-commercial use and will not be redistributed, broadcast or copied to any other media.
- The trademarks, logos, and service marks displayed on this Website, including, but not limited to "Grant Thornton" are registered and unregistered trademarks of Grant Thornton and others. Nothing contained on this Website should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel, or otherwise, any license or right to use any trademark displayed on this Website without the express written permission of Grant Thornton or such third party that may own the trademarks displayed on this Web site. Your misuse of the trademarks displayed on this Website or any other Content on this Website is strictly prohibited.
- Grant Thornton may provide links to third-party Web sites, and some of the content appearing to be on this Website may, in fact, be supplied by third parties (e.g. instances of framing of third-party Web sites or incorporation of content through framesets). Grant Thornton assumes no liability for any damages you may suffer from visiting such linked Web sites, including without limitation, damages caused by computer viruses, Trojan horses or other destructive/disruptive code which may be downloaded or transferred from such linked Web sites.
- Any links contained on this Website shall not be construed as an endorsement by Grant Thornton of any such linked Web site. Grant Thornton has not reviewed or researched the full content on these linked Web sites and shall not be held responsible should you encounter any materials that may appear inaccurate, indecent or illegal. If you visit such a Web site that is linked to this Website, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will determine if the link should be removed from this Web site.
- You may not provide a link to this Website without our express written permission. If you would like to provide a link to this Website, please contact email@example.com
- THE CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY.
- The information provided on this Website is provided free of charge and is for informational purposes only. Such information should not be relied upon or used as the basis for any decision.
- Certain information contained in this Website has been provided to Grant Thornton by third parties. All users of this Website must carry out their own due diligence in respect of all matters referred to and satisfy themselves as to the accuracy thereof.
- Although Grant Thornton uses reasonable efforts to maintain the accuracy and currency of the Content of this Website, Grant Thornton makes no warranties or representations as to its accuracy or currency. This Website may contain typographical errors and technical inaccuracies. Grant Thornton assumes no liability or responsibility for any errors or omissions in the Content of this Web site.
- Although Grant Thornton uses reasonable efforts to ensure that all software provided at this Website is suitable for use on a wide variety of computer systems, you should take reasonable and appropriate precautions to scan for computer viruses and ensure compatibility of the software with your specific computer system.
- Grant Thornton may update and/or modify the information contained on this Website at any time and without notice.
Limitation of liability
- IN NO EVENT WILL GRANT THORNTON, ITS AGENTS OR OTHER THIRD PARTIES MENTIONED IN THIS WEB SITE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES RESULTING FROM LOST PROFITS, LOSS OF PROSPECTIVE ECONOMIC ADVANTAGE, LOST DATA OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) ARISING OUT OF THE USE, INABILITY TO USE, OR THE RESULTS OF USE OF THIS WEB SITE, ANY WEB SITES LINKED TO THIS WEB SITE, OR THE CONTENT CONTAINED ON ANY OR ALL SUCH WEB SITES, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY AND WHETHER OR NOT ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANOTHER PARTY. IF YOUR USE OF THE CONTENT ON THIS SITE RESULTS IN THE NEED FOR SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION OF EQUIPMENT OR DATA, YOU ASSUME ALL COSTS THEREOF.
- By using this Website, you acknowledge and agree that: (i) any use of the information on this Web site is not a substitute for professional advice; (ii) use of the information on this Website does not relieve you from applying the standard of care and skill relevant to the use of such information contained on this Website; and (iii) you are solely responsible for verifying the correctness, accuracy, and reliability of all information provided on this Web site.
- If you breach any of these Terms, your authorization to use this Web site automatically terminates and you must immediately destroy any downloaded or printed Content.
- Grant Thornton will aggressively enforce its intellectual property rights to the fullest extent of the law.
- If any provision of these Terms shall be unlawful, void or unenforceable for any reason, then any such provision shall be deemed severable to the extent that it is lawful, void or unenforceable, but shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions.
- These terms are governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario and the laws of Canada applicable therein without reference to the principles of conflicts of laws thereof. Any dispute arising from these Terms shall be resolved exclusively in the Province of Ontario by the courts of the Province of Ontario.
Revised: September 13, 2017
Grant Thornton International Ltd disclaimer
Grant Thornton LLP is a Canadian member firm within Grant Thornton International Ltd (”Grant Thornton International”).
Grant Thornton International and the member firms are not a worldwide partnership. Services are delivered by the member firms independently.
Not all member firms provide the full range of services mentioned within this Web site.
Grant Thornton LLP is located in Canada and is a member firm of Grant Thornton International Ltd.