The Canadian power and utilities industry is complex, making it difficult to navigate through change. The regulatory environment, political climate, technological disruption, and energy-savvy consumers are just a few of the factors at play.
At Grant Thornton, we have the real-world experience and knowledge that can help you in considering all of your strategic alternatives. Whether it be managing a transaction process, building and implementing best practices, raising financing, securing your assets and building a cybersecurity strategy, and/or being a market innovator, we are fortunate enough to help our clients through it all.
We work with organizations across the industry, including:
- power distribution utilities
- power transmission utilities
- power generation companies
- municipally-owned energy services companies
- financial investors (e.g. pension funds)
- financial lenders
Powering up your business strategy
Our advisors have helped dozens of utilities and energy services companies, their owners and management teams to determine the best path forward with respect to operations, growth and potential market transactions – both regulated and non-regulated. We advise on technology, cybersecurity, financial reporting, strategic transactions, new projects, valuation, financing, and overall business strategy.
Our unique blend of regulatory and financial advisory experience, combined with specialized knowledge of local distribution and utility companies, delivers proven value to our clients across Canada. As an advisory firm, we listen, we care and we are a part of your team. We are committed to your success.
Our skilled advisors will help you:
- work with management and the board to assess different strategic alternatives, including potential merger and acquisition opportunities for regulated entities;
- navigate the complexities of making a transactional decision while managing the political sensitivities that come with municipal ownership;
- develop forward-planning strategy that anticipates the future and minimizes the effects of shocks and stresses;
- support new business development for your non-regulated activities through business cases, financial modelling and financings;
- negotiate with your financial institutions;
- develop and support implementation of technology solutions;
- assess the governance, risk management, and cybersecurity of your organization;
- support and develop your capabilities to secure and monitor your Operational Technology (OT) infrastructure and Internal Controls Systems (ICS);
- assess and create efficient tax structures;
- provide financial reporting, support and advice to the participants in the regulatory process; and
- provide audit and financial reporting expertise.
Public utilities are vital to the health and safety of our communities. As a regulator, you play a key role in balancing various interests to minimize costs to customers while ensuring customers receive safe and reliable services and utilities, and also continue to be financially healthy and viable.
Having access to reliable, evidence-based information to guide and defend your decisions is essential.
Grant Thornton specializes in advisory services for regulatory bodies, agencies and governments that oversee utilities such as natural gas, power/electricity, water sewer/drainage, and waste management utilities. You can count on our experienced team for reliable, independent information and advice.
Better information leads to better decisions
In the regulatory world, decisions are often based on precedent and expert opinions. Our knowledge of the regulatory and rate-setting process in jurisdictions across Canada adds real value for our clients. We provide transparent, evidence-based advice because we understand the importance of support and justification for your decisions.
It is an ongoing challenge to assess rate changes in a way that is fair and considers the impact on all stakeholders – customers, taxpayers, employees, investors and the utility itself – not to mention recovering costs and earning an appropriate return in a highly capital-intensive industry. Our depth of knowledge and insights into best practices can help drive organizational success.
We can help you with:
- cost of service studies
- rates analysis
- financial/economic modelling
- cost of capital experts
- performance Base Regulation (PBR) reviews
- regulatory/utility benchmarking
- financial policy review engagements